radykal | Support Center Chooser

For which product do you need support?

Fancy Product Designer Multistep Product Configurator

Start a new topic
Implemented

Two Steps where there were one

Great work so far, I'm thrilled at how well this is coming along.  Can't wait to launch next month.

In two places, there are now two steps rather than one, for the "simple" or "default" user.

This is vital to the website being developed now.

One - after uploading an image to the image palette, the new  image is not automatically loaded onto the builder platen, instead it is added only to the palette, requiring a second click to place it on the product.  This extra step is likely to confuse "simple"product users.

Two - same issue, when the designs categories load into the palette, the first one does not default to "open" but instead, to a list of available categories. In the case of "simple" this may seem confusing.

Is there any way to control this for myself with a little jQuery, or is there a way to add this behavior back via option?

3 people like this idea

I would be really happy to run with this and look into it, anyone have a good idea where to find the hooks?

I agree completely with the group here; the new upload process is very confusing on mobile. The two step process is a big step back for anyone who only needs one image at a time. Please, please provide an alternative for this on mobile. 

Hi @Jeremy,

I just pasted your code - Worked a Treat with images!

Is there any way I replicate the function for the "custom Text" upload zone? 

So that once user has typed their text and clicked "Add Text" the side panel closes.

And if you're really feeling generous - If they click on that text a 2nd time the side panel re-opens so they can re-enter/edit that text block.

Thanks buddy.

@ Jeremy - Just Realised: It's quite possible I didn't implement it correctly but although your code works fine on desktop, it's not working on mobile devices (I tried Ipad and Iphone).

I'll 2nd this - This is a real issue that makes it confusing for single image products and also virtually impossible to us on smartphones (due to the hover image preview getting in the way).

John --  I use the "CSS & JavaScript Toolbox" plugin

-- this lets me put CSS or JS in the header and footer of any page or pages -- it has sections for product pages, posts... almost everything, and the editor is as good as many of the old, venerable editing environments on desktops.

You are totally right about the arrow, and I will remove on the next round of JS tweaks.

got -totally- chewed out by the working group over the changes here, the feeling is that last month, this was smooth & simple, and this month it is unfriendly.

Unfortunately, it is the feeling of the group that grandmother-level-friendly is a requirement.

So, instead of complaining about it, I have built a javascript approximation of how they want it to look and feel, and it's working.  It's full of the dreaded timeouts but if you don't save to server and if you don't enable lazy load, this will work fine.

https://www.youcookie.com/product/boy-scouts-of-america-large-portrait-cookie-photo-topper/

If this works for you, let me know and I'll post the javascript here.

If this is how you want it to work too, please let them know here on the board with your bumps, votes, and replies.

Sorry for such a big delay in reply. I've been working with other parts of the website (kinda hoping this will be sorted in next update), as fiddling with code makes me a little nervous. I'll give it a little longer and if it's not addressed I'll have a play based on the advice you've given above  Thanks again.

Hi Jeremy - Thanks very much for doing that!

I'm sorry if the working group didn't speak for all. I guess FPD is just used for so many different purposes now and we all have different needs.

Personally - I quite literally need grandmother-level-friendly as many of my customers are in that age range and not tech savvy at all.

It's certainly MUCH better. The only difference I would make is remove the "up arrow" under the Facebook symbol (as it implies you have to click on the facebook symbol) and either remove or make the left hand button (next to facebook symbol) functional for uploading from computer/device.

I'd love to get the javascript but I've no idea how I'd incorporate that into the current FPD platform.

@radykal - If you could take this on board and perhaps make an option in settings so that we can choose between either something like above or even just how it used to be in V2.xx

Thanks again!!

Thumbs up for number 1 - My problem with this is that when on a small screen (e.g ipad) the "hover" shows a view of the full image which gets in the way of being able to select the image again.

(Aside from this - Great update!)

In the next update the first uploaded image will be added automatically to the stage, is that fine for you?

That would be a big improvement as long as there is an option to auto close the upload panel as well. On mobile, when we use the upload zone, people click the zone, and the screen is filled with the upload panel where they can choose between local, facebook, and instagram. We've found that closing or hiding that panel is very difficult for many testers on mobile. There's no obvious way to show them that they have to swipe it out of the way. Ideally, once the image is uploaded or selected, the image would be placed in the upload zone and the upload panel would close. Either way, thanks for the attention on this matter. Much appreciated.

I'd have to agree, the closing or hiding of the panel is a vital step, it needs to close after someone has placed an item, either a design, or a photo uploaded, or a social photo...    I'd say this :

in the case of a SINGLE item uploaded : place item and close panel

in the case of multiple items :  close panel after choice made

in the case of designs and social images :  close panel after choice made

-- I am already doing this with "forced" javascript hooks, but I don't like depending on timeout-and-sniff javascript.

Anyone else agree?

@Radykal - I've just installed latest update.

Although the 1st image is added to the stage, the selection pane remains open.

On a mobile device it is not clear how to close this pane, the "X" doesn't do anything. I eventually realised you have to swipe it.

Is it possible to make this pane close automatically after adding picture?

@Jeremy - Thanks buddy. Perhaps we can have a chat on Skype and go from there? And yes - If you could paste your code here that would be great. thanks

Login or Signup to post a comment