radykal | Support Center Chooser

For which product do you need support?

Fancy Product Designer Multistep Product Configurator

Start a new topic
Implemented

Measure DPI of image that is in print area

Hello,

I'm making a webshop where customers can order photo printed articles such as photo on canvas, wood or metal. I already restricted the min width & height per design.

But the image can be scaled/zoomed so much that the quality would be very poor.

I've got an example of something great.

Gelato uses this in their designer: It measures the dpi of the image in the print area, so if you zoom or scale the DPI will be changed and if dpi is poor there is a warning.

This would be very clear to customers, and also for us sellers. because the client is being informed over how much he can scale a image without taking risk of poor quality.

9 people like this idea

+1 to Sven's idea.

In addition to measuring the DPI, it would be great if we could set the minimum, and ideal DPI (or pixels per inch) for each design, and give the customer a warning or visual feedback so they can know if the printed image will have Good, Okay, or Poor quality. 

1 person likes this

If the user uploads a 10"x10" image that is 100dpi, then scales it to cover a 20"x20" canvas, their effective dpi is now 50. The feature request is to be able to dynamically check and notify when the effective dpi goes out of spec. So far as I can tell, FPD doesn't have that capability. Is this correct? 

1 person likes this

I think it would be enough as soon as the an image is scaled above its origin dimension. So when the user scale the image over 1, we can display a warning. Would that work as well for you?

1 person likes this

@rady kal
Say the customer uploads an image at 10x10 inches and 100 ppi, and the canvas they're uploading to is 12x12 inches with a 75 ppi minimum. In this case, the customer would be able to scale the image and stay within the ppi range, but would get a warning. Not sure about OP, but for my purposes, that would not be ideal. 

Added in V6.0.11

Login or Signup to post a comment